Hallux Valgus Correction Splint
Hallux valgus is commonly referred to as a bunion and can be relatively simple to treat during the initial stages. However, if left untreated, the progressive deformity can necessitate more drastic options such as surgery. With this Hallux Valgus Correction Splint you can alleviate discomfort and prevent the need for costly, time-consuming and painful surgery.
- 1 x Hallux Valgus Correction Splint
Key Features and Benefits of the Bunion Correction Orthotic
- Soft and padded splint for phenomenal comfort all day
- Holds the toe in a neutral position
- Easy to apply with adjustable hook-and-loop fastenings
- The adjustable aluminium stay provides stability
- Rigid aluminium supports the optimal alignment of the large toe
- Can be worn during the day or night
- Available for the left or right foot
How Does the Bunion Correction Splint Work?
The splint relieves the metatarsophalangeal joint and can help achieve a pain-free movement of the big toe if used in the early stages. A multi-dimensional joint holds the toe at a predetermined angle at which extension and flexion are prevented or can be permitted gradually via the adjustable straps, so as symptoms lessen you can increase mobility.
How Effective Are Correction Splints for Treating Bunions?
In a recent study by the Clinic for Orthopedics, Hannover Medical School, it was shown that the treatment of patients with symptomatic hallux valgus using a dynamic splint experienced reduced pain, delayed subjective deterioration of the toe position and was well received by patients. It was also suggested that this treatment was more effective with smaller, more flexible protrusions, highlighting the need for swift intervention.
How Comfortable Is the Hallux Valgus Correction Splint?
Thanks to an extensively padded interior this correction splint is marvellously comfortable, to the extent that it can be worn all day or night. The adjustable straps ensure you have a personalised and snug fit, preventing chafing and allowing the splint to be tailored to your exact specifications.
Who Can Benefit From Correctional Splints?
There are a number of people more likely to suffer from hallux valgus for whom it could be beneficial to buy correctional splints at the first sign of bunion formation:
- Women are twice as likely to experience bunions than men, particularly those who regularly wear high heels
- 70% of patients with hallux valgus have a family history
- People with increased distal metaphyseal articular angle (DMAA)
- People with ligamentous laxity such as those with hypermobility
- Anyone with convex metatarsal heads
- Those experiencing rheumatoid arthritis
- People with cerebral palsy
If you fall into any of these categories it is recommended that you buy a hallux valgus splint early to prevent further deterioration.
How Common Is Hallux Valgus?
Hallux valgus is the most common deformity of the forefoot and toes, 23% of 18-65 year olds and over 35% of those over 65 have hallux valgus. If you fear you may be developing hallux valgus, you're far from alone and there are a number of effective treatment methods that have been created over the years.
Is This Correction Splint Available for the Left or Right Foot?
Yes, this product is available for purchase for either foot. Please select the option that you require from the drop-down menu at the top of the page.
Please note that only a single Hallux Valgus Correctional Splint is provided with each purchase.