Procool Thumb Restriction Splint
This Procool Thumb Restriction Splint is one of the best thumb splints on the market, due to the low-profile wrap-around design it provides truly exceptional support without becoming bulky or unwieldy. This brace is made from a perforated Neoprene fabric that's wonderfully breathable, with a terry cloth inner lining that feels luxurious against your skin.
- 1 x Procool Thumb Restriction Splint
Sizing of the Thumb Restriction Splint
The splint comes in a wide variety of sizes, including models for infants and children, based on hand circumference. Please consult the image and table below to see which size you desire, then select your preferred option from the drop down menu at the top of the page.
|Size ||Hand Circumference (cm) |
|Infant ||11 - 14cm |
|Child ||14 - 17cm |
|Small ||15 - 18cm |
|Small+ ||17 - 18cm |
|Medium ||18 - 20cm |
|Medium+ ||20 - 21cm |
|Large ||20 - 23cm |
|Large+ ||21 - 24cm |
|Extra Large ||23 - 25cm |
Key Features and Benefits
- Provides exceptional support for CMC joint injuries and conditions
- Ideal for treating arthritis, osteoarthritis and tendonitis
- Anatomically shaped strap wraps around the joint for excellent support and protection
- Allows full finger function so you can carry out daily tasks with ease
- High quality Neoprene material offers excellent stability and breathability without bulk
- Comes in a range of sizes to suit the majority of users, with infant and child models available
Does This Splint Provide Support Without Impacting Mobility?
The Procool Thumb Restriction Splint features an anatomically shaped strap which wraps around the CMC thumb joint and the first metacarpal for targeted CMC joint support. This makes it perfect for the treatment of osteoarthritis and tendonitis in the thumb, while still allowing full finger function.
What is the CMC Joint and Where is it Located?
As you can see in the image below, the carpometacarpal (CMC) joint is located at the base of your thumb, where the thumb metacarpal joins the wrist bones.
What Makes the Procool Range So Exceptional?
The secret of what makes the Procool range of lightweight and breathable splints so extraordinary is the intelligent design and uncompromising quality of the materials used. The neoprene fabric is made with tiny perforations for remarkable breathability that keeps your skin feeling fresh all day long while the inner lining is a fluffy and soft terry cloth lining that feels fantastic against the skin.
How Effective are Splints for Treating CMC Osteoarthritis Pain?
A meta-study by the School of Physiotherapy, University of Otago found that the most recent evidence shows appropriate thumb splinting results in a notable reduction in pain for the vast majority of people. This study also showed that there was a marked improvement in wrist and thumb function when the splint was worn for several weeks.
Indications for the Procool Thumb Restriction Splint
The Thumb Restriction Splint is suitable for a range of conditions, such as:
- Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Basal joint arthritis
- CMC Joint Arthritis
- Juvenile Chronic Arthritis
- CMC joint instability
- Gamekeeper's thumb
- Inflamed/swollen tendons
- Overuse injuries
- Pain/instability of thumb extensors/abductors
- Post carpal/metacarpal surgery
- Post surgical repair
- Post/preoperative conditions
- Post traumatic conditions
- Repetitive strain injury
- Scapholunate instability
- Scapholunate tear
- Skier's thumb
- Soft tissue injury
- Sprained wrist
- Stener lesion
- Thumb basal joint instability
- Thumb basal joint/saddle joint irritation
- UCL injury
- UCL lesion
- Weakness of the thumb joint
- Worn cartilage
Please note that all Procool Splints are designed to be washed by hand only using warm and soapy water. Machine washing may cause shrinkage and is not advised.